Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Other Boleyn Girl Discussion

Ok, so who's read this yet? I know JuliAnne and I have. I thought it was great. She really gets you involved. The whole book it seemed to me was an interesting look at sibling rivalry. I couldn't believe some of the outrageous things that happened all in the name of family and ambition. It seemed like that was all they had. And if you think about it, in modern society, that's all we live for anymore: just to protect what is ours at all costs. And we're told that "anyone can be President", the sky's the limit to your ambition. I have lots of friends that are like that and you see that they aren't happy by just living for their monetary gain, but they don't know anything else. They don't have anything else to ground them...like values. They'll sacrifice anything and everything for some goal that they don't see the forest for the trees--just like Anne. It's interesting to see the vast contrast in happiness between the two sisters based on their personalities. They come from the same family, same background and circumstances, and the things they want that make them happy are so different.

2 comments:

Tiana said...

Good book. Pulls you into the family. Mixed feelings on whether to like the characters or not. I found myself liking George then wondering why when I didn't agree with his behaviors and personal choices. Mary as a child was easily swayed, it was good to see her more determined to be herself as she grew up. Sibling rivalry is an interesting thing. I thought this book did a good job of exploring it. I found I could relate. You tend to take a certain role in a family and as you grow your family wants to keep you in that role. To break out of it can cause issue. My sister used to be a terrible cook. I used to be very domestic in the kitchen. As my sister got older she turned all betty on us. I feel a bit of rivalry over baked goods. She thinks her stuff is the best when clearly it is not. Yes she can make some things well but dang it my cookies are definetly better. So, like I don't begrudge her the the whole domestic thing, but I don't know, there is some competitiveness there. Anyway, lame example, but I could relate in other ways too, they are just harder to explain.
Mary's first husband... frustrating to see that he didn't fight harder for her, yet how could he at the same time. This book was full of conflicting feelings.
Good book though. Little long in the middle. Enjoyed it though.

Unknown said...

I finished The Other Boleyn Girl yesterday--June 2nd. The author skillfully draws the reader into a time none of us can really comprehend--women were just chips to be played in high-stakes power games. A woman in the 1500s, and before, would have been better off born a peasant... a milk maid... anything but far away from the royal courts! Married and sex w/ hubby at 12!!!! And the superstitions!!!
You know there are people who rush to prove that they are descendents of royalty--I HOPE I'M NOT!
I now understand why Queen Elizabeth (Anne's baby girl)had to fight to keep her throne and WHY Mary Queen of Scots thought that Elizabeth had no claim to the throne--Henry the 8th made his daughter with Anne a bastard!!
BUT! Huzzah, huzzah! for William--Mary's man of all seasons.
Really liked many parts of the book and really didn't like other parts--Anne Boleyn was NOT likable (she was a do-or-die player who never got much respect because she was a woman and she was sooo self-centered)and the gay cavaliers ...the insest was also ... Anne just wouldn't be happy until she had captured every man around her--gay or a brother.
The author's note at the end helped--Mary's rotten parents died, she and William inherited their property, etc.
Now, I wonder how the movie will use ALL that story!