Friday, August 1, 2008

August Break/Catch Up

Hello Ladies,

And how is everyone's summer? A bit warm here, thanks for asking. I've decided that since I've been a bit behind lately that we should have a break this month. That way we can catch up on all the books we've been suggesting to each other (even if they haven't been the monthly picks) and we'll be all geared up for September! Back to school, Fall-even though it still feels like summer is hanging on, newly sharpened pencils and all that jazz.

May I suggest Stephenie Myer's Breaking Dawn that comes out today at midnight? Or her other new one not of the Twilight series, The Host. That was a good one. I'm looking forward to trying to finish The Moonstone (June's pick). Truth be told, I haven't been able to get into that one. So maybe I'm not looking forward to it per se, but still...I'll have more time to read it. I'm also really looking forward to reading Personal Days that Tiana suggested in July as well. Currently I'm reading "If Disney Ran Your Hospital". It's a managerial/customer service book about perceptions and outcomes in the hospital experience. Pretty good, obviously dry, but I still like it.

If any of you have suggestions on catch up reading or would like to discuss your catch up reading, please post your comments here. Have a good month!

Sharon

2 comments:

Tiana said...

Loved Breaking dawn!! Have to say I didn't see most of it coming, but then maybe I didn't want to ruin it for myself with speculation.
Personal Days was good too. Totally different literary style. Hard to get used to at first. Interesting story though. I could totally see how it could really happen in the wonderful corporate climate we have in existence today.

Titus Family Literary Group said...

Of course I read Breaking Dawn! EXCELLENT. But then I've loved all of her books so far. Even The Host, which was a bit different from the Twilight storyline and all, but still really great. I also read The Last Lecture this month. That was really moving. Just a quick read about life lessons and things. A bit of a tear jerker at the end. So I probably shouldn't have read the end of it while I was in line to see the Declaration of Independence, but I had 3 1/2 hours to kill! What do you do? Cameron kind of just laughed and held me while I kept reading because I was so riveted to the book. I also read An Incomplete Revenge by Jacqueline Winspear. It's another book in the Maisie Dobbs (detective) series. Loved that. I just like how she tells a story. So many details, I can imagine myself right there with her. Based around the mysterious murder of a family and the the equally mysterious town they live in. I've also been trying to read the Book of Mormon a bit more diligently. That's been going ok. So far I've kept up at home with where we're at in Gospel Doctrine. Anyone else play catch up this month??